Log in or Register
Hartley Wintney 2
Smith (24' pen), Cornell (55')
1 Westfield
Nkoma (12')
Hartley vs Westfield 121119

FA Trophy Match Report

Courtesy and Copyright of David Graham at HWFC Fans Forum

Hartley Wintney progressed into the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy with a win over Westfield following a hard fought match.

Following an even start it was the visitors who gained an edge and their first chance arrived on 10 minutes. George Frith and Max Blackmore combined well and the latter's shot saw a good block from the Row defence. However, the respite was short lived as the Field took the lead from the resulting corner. From Frith's flag kick, the ball found its way to Gregory Haydon whose shot brought an excellent stop from Luke Williams in the Row goal. The ball rebounded out of the penalty area where Nkoma Tinashe tried his luck and a big deflection saw the ball find the net. (0-1)

Six minutes later it was almost two as Tinashe made good progress down the right at pace and his low cross was just missed at the back post by Aaron Watson.

The Row came into the game and pulled level on 22 minutes. Adam Cornell fed a good ball through to Dean Rule who was upended in the penalty area as he was about to shoot. Ty Smith scored from the spot. (1-1)

Hartley had a good spell but without troubling Ross in the visitors' goal. The Field relied on the pace of their two wingers, Watson and Tinashe. On 39 minutes, a good cross field pass from Ujkaj Arsen gave Watson a chance coming in from the right and the winger's powerful shot was just over the bar.

Half Time: Hartley Wintney 1 Westfield 1

Hartley started the second half well and took the lead on 54 minutes. Ty Smith created good space for himself on the edge of the penalty box, but before he could shoot he was hauled down. Smith took the free kick himself and his well struck effort produced a good diving stop from Ross. Adam Cornell, following up, scored from close range. (2-1)

On 61 minutes the Field had a chance from a Frith right wing corner. Haydon rose highest but directed his header wide. Six minutes later, Sonny Black fed Tinashe on the right and the winger's cross fizzed across the front of the goal with no takers. 

On 70 minutes the visitors were reduced to ten players following a bad challenge by Jack Dean on Ty Smith. The visitors' full back received a straight red card from referee John Pike.

The Row came close to extending the lead on 75 minutes. The impressive Dean Rule latched on to a pass from Josh Webb and curled his shot just wide of the upright.

Approaching added time, a free kick on the right from Ty Smith found the head of Alex Albert who headed wide. Then in the third minute of added time, a run from Sal Abubakar saw his cross find Mickel Platt. The substitute was unlucky to see his effort hit the inside of the post and roll along the line. The clearance was picked up by the Row and a fierce drive from Webb was tipped over by Ross.

Hartley held on to progress to a 3rd Qualifying Round tie away to Eastbourne Borough. 

Published Thursday 21st November 2019